The Latin phrase "Amor Vincit Omnia" (Love Conquers Everything) tops the seal which is a circle, part of which represents railroad tracks since the Town’s early history was influenced by the railroad. The date of November 9, 1989, is the certification of the Town’s vote to incorporate. The Seal also has the name of the community, Green Pond, as it was first known in the 1860’s before the era of automobiles and railroads. Shortly after the War Between the States, a Post Office was authorized at Green Pond. As was the custom in those days, the post office was located in a general store since it was most often the meeting place of the community. In 1886 the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railroad was built from Greensboro to Mount Airy. The railroad passed through Green Pond and a railroad station was built to service the area. The post office was moved at this time and the name was changed to Stokesdale. The name Stokesdale was selected in honor of a Mr. Stokes who was either an executive of the railroad, a conductor on the train, or the surveyor who surveyed the area. A "dale" is a valley or low place.
The center portion of the seal contains a map of the Town of Stokesdale which shows the major highways, US Highway 158, NC 68, and NC 65, that criss-cross the Town. Railroad tracks also appear on the map. There are four pictures of historical importance included on the map as follows:
The pick and shovel are placed in the northeast portion of the map to represent the rock quarry that is located there. Rock has been mined at this quarry for many years.
Moving clockwise, two tobacco plants are located on the southeast portion of the map. Tobacco has been and continues to be a cash crop for farms within the entire Town.
A farmer with a horse and plow represents the rural and farming background that existed within the Town.
The still represents another piece of history that once held a place in the Stokesdale community. While the fertile soils and the agricultural nature of the town produced abundant crops, the creeks of the northwest corner of the Town provided the water to make moonshine as a way to supplement farm income.